Class of 1982
Silver Jubilee Reunion: Class of 1982
Class of 1982 Legacy Project ... more
- A high attendance of 146 batchmates during the silver jubilee celebrations of the 1982 batch with 390 total attendees including family members. (inspite of 21 last minute cancellations.)
- A very high attendance of 146 batchmates during the silver jubilee celebrations of the 1982 batch with 400 total attendees including family members.
- The event was funded by money collected from a sponsorship by Raymond’s, advertisements in the souvenir, and registration fees.
- Main events conducted in 82 Nagar, a specially designed village for the 82 batch reunion.
- A Grand entertainment night was organized in IIT on the banks of Powai Lake featuring professional musical performers, laser shows and grand fireworks.
- A Silver Jubilee Reunion Legacy Project was conceptualized by the Batch of 82, and a Joining Bonus Fund was established to give IITB a decisive edge in its ongoing drive to attract the best faculty. The batch set a target to raise a fund of Rs. 6 Crores (US$ 1.5 Million)…more.
- The Batch of 82 raised a sum of Rs. 4 crore for the cause of this Legacy Project.
- A symbolic cheque of Rs. 4 crore was presented to the Director, IIT Bombay. Efforts continue to raise the balance of Rs. 2 crore to reach a total target of Rs. 6 crores.
- The major contribution for the remaining Rs. 2 crore will be done through future monthly recurring payments. The batch proved that a large project can be funded through small, affordable recurring contributions by a large group of donors.
- Prior to reunion, mini reunions were held in Mumbai, Bay Area, Pune, New York, Boston and Hyderabad.
- For the first time in the history of the alumni events –arrangements were made for a live webcast of the second day’s event for those who could not attend this event in person.
- Press coverage in 11 major newspapers of Mumbai.
- For the first time, an initiative was taken to felicitate all faculty who taught us between 1977 and 1982. The retired Professors were located and invited for the function. 36 professors attended this function and were felicitated with mementos and shawls and for those who could not attend, mementoes were sent to them. Felicitations were extended to all who taught us, i.e. retired as well as current faculty members.
- The festivities included a nostalgic mock lecture by Prof. Phatak on Fortran IV, private sessions for fine-tuning of Legacy Project details and fund raising. This also included networking, visits to hostels and departments, nature walks, boating and go-karting for the kids and much more.
- NDTV's popular talk show "We, the People" by Barkha Dutt was organized but had to be cancelled due to Benazir Bhutto's unfortunate assassination,. The show was meant to include a panel discussion amongst many eminent personalities including leading industrialists, political leaders and alumni.
- First ever web based 82 Yearbook build-up was undertaken.
- DVDs and CDs will be made from the video clips and images captured in the two days of the Reunion event, and will be sent to all the batchmates.
- We hope that subsequent groups will use this approach to undertake large projects. Batch of 1982 plans to meet its target of raising remaining Rs. 2 crores during IITB's GJ year.
We welcome your contributions towards this worthy cause … more.